Jewish Family & Career Services has announced the honorees for the sixth annual MOSAIC Awards that recognize immigrants and refugees who are making a significant contribution in their professions and in the community. The dinner event will be held on Thursday, May 19, at The Henry Clay Ballroom. A cocktail reception will begin at 5:30 p.m., and the dinner/program begins at 6:15.
The 2011 honorees are:
- Paul Gerrard, from Great Britain, director of Corporate Affairs and chairman of Humana’s Corporate Social Responsibility Council, experienced international manager;
- Suhas Kulkarni, from India, founder
- and CEO of Olmnisys, chairman, Indian Professional Council of Kentucky, president, Board of Directors, Crane House The Asian Institute;
- Miguel Lagunas, from Mexico, retired electrical engineer, founding member and volunteer leader of many Hispanic/Latino community organizations;
- Dr. Saleem Seyal, from Pakistan, associate clinical professor of medicine at the University of Louisville School of Medicine, senior partner at River Cities Cardiology, interventional cardiologist and medical director of Preventive Cardiology at Clark Memorial Hospital, professional writer and speaker; and
- Leon Wahba, from Egypt, retired international banker; volunteer leader with the Jewish Community of Louisville, including chair of the Jewish Community Relations Council.
The honorees will receive the MOSAIC Award, an artistic representation symbolizing Multicultural Opportunities for Success and Achievement In our Community. The artist creating the award this year is Kentucky woodcraftsman Mark Whitley.
“Providing programs and services for New Americans has been a part of the JFCS mission since its founding in 1908,” said Judy Freundlich Tiell, executive director. “By recognizing the honorees who have succeeded in various fields, we underscore the importance that new Americans have made in our community and recognize and spotlight the crucial role that newcomers play in creating a vibrant community.”
Bill Samuels, Jr., retired president of Maker’s Mark, is the Honorary Chairperson. Jewish Hospital HealthCare Services is the New American Sponsor and WLKY is the Media Sponsor. MOSAIC Sponsors are Maker’s Mark and PharMerica.
Individual tickets to the MOSAIC Awards are $100 per person, and numerous levels of sponsorships are available to individuals and businesses. For tickets or sponsorship information, contact Beverly Bromley at 452-6341 or visit www.jfcslouisville.org.