Opportunities for hands-on involvement making the holiday season brighter for those in need. Some projects need help immediately. Check the dates!
RSVP to Amy Benovitz at 425-0373.
1) NOW: Winter clothing/furniture drive. With cold weather starting, agencies are looking for warm things NOW. Coalition for the Homeless/St. John’s Center is looking for COATS, socks, new underwear, toboggans, sweaters and heavy gloves for outdoor men. St John’s Center and Wellspring needs furniture, pans, dishes, lamps and baskets with kitchen items to outfit apartments for their clients.
2) Wellspring’s “Concord House”: Holiday Brunch. Dec. 2 from 1-2:30 p.m. at 3337 Breckinridge Lane. For 8 women managing their lives and mental illnesses. These ladies LOVE US! Amy has gift list!
3) Schuhmann Center: Help assemble food baskets. Dec. 10-12 from 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m. at Christ Church Cathedral, Second & Liberty St. 5-7 volunteers per day. Bring your group, this is fun.
4) Brooklawn Children’s Home: Be an Elf! Dec. 17 10 a.m.-12 noon. or 2-4 p.m. at 2125 Goldsmith Lane. Meet at receptionist desk in administration building. 6-10 volunteers needed to help wrap gifts for residents. Just bring scissors.
5) Cathedral of the Assumption Soup Kitchen: Serve lunch Christmas week. Dec 21, 24 & 27 from 10:45 a.m.-1:15 p.m. at 443 S. Fifth St. Ages 12 and up. 4-5 volunteers are needed per shift. Cookies needed too! They are also looking for donations of extra hotel toiletries, toothpaste, lip balm and hand sanitizer.
6) Home of the Innocents: Read to and bake cookies with medically fragile residents. Dec. 25 at 10 a.m. at 1100 E. Market St. This is FUN!!!
7) Ronald McDonald House: Provide and serve brunch. Dec. 25 from 9-11 a.m.
at 550 S. First St. For about 35 residents. Families welcome. RSVP to Marci Rosengarten, Moss0806@aol.com.
8) St Vincent DePaul Open Hand Kitchen: Serve Lunch. Dec. 25 from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. at 1026 S. Jackson St. Need 10 volunteers to serve lunch Must be 16 or older.
9) Maryhurst Girl’s Home: Brunch. Dec. 25 from 11 a.m.-2p.m. at 1015 Dorsey Lane – a Temple Shalom coordinated event. Adults and teen girls ages 15+ are invited to join us serving brunch for 70 girls and counselors. Volunteers are needed for various acitivites.
10) Gilda’s Club: Volunteer at this free community Cancer support group. Month of December, anytime, at 633 Baxter Avenue. RSVP to Drew 583-0075.
11) Wellspring Ardery & Journey Houses: Provide gifts and Pizza Party. For 10 residents at each of these Wellspring Houses. Wellspring provides support for people with mental illnesses.
12) Volunteers of America Family Emergency Shelter: Help serve at Lunch Buffet. Dec. 25 from 1-4 p.m. at 1321 S. Preston Street. Also play with children and volunteer in the NEW play room. GREAT family or group event.
13) Sandwich Making for St Vincent DePaul AT TEMPLE: Dec. 25, 2 pm. at The Temple. Meet at Temple Kitchen. Make 500 sandwiches. Call Rabbi David 423-1818 to RSVP and get your food assignment.
14) Catholic Charities Rescue Agency: Needs volunteers to adopt one of 250 immigrant families. Buy a new outfit and a toy for each child in the family. The also urgently need ALL LINENS, towels, pots and pans, kitchenware, children’s mittens, caps, gloves and scarves, plus laundry and new home set up baskets. Drop off at Temple. Call Amy or contact Chris Clements directly at Catholic Charities 636-9263 x145.
15) West End School: Volunteer to help make/serve meals. For boarding school boys in middle school and K and pre-K day students. Especially looking for large casseroles and donations to furnish their new institutional kitchen! Contact Amy Trager firstname.lastname@example.org or Sandra Trager email@example.com for cooking. Wish list includes: sports equipment, clothes, school supplies, paper products, cleaning supplies, condiments and kitchen staples and supplies. Amy B has a list!