Congregation Adath Israel Brith Sholom (Reform)
5101 U. S. Highway 42
Louisville, KY 40241-6000
Fax: (502) 423-1835
The Temple, where Jewish tradition meets tomorrow, is a vibrant congregation that offers exceptional educational programs and an impressive array of activities for members of all ages.
Shabbat services on Friday evening and Saturday morning are held throughout the year. The Temple offers such diverse worship services as: Family Worship Services, special services with guest speakers of local and national interest, Alef Services for spiritual renewal, Service of Song and Classical Reform services celebrating the congregation’s history as founders of Reform Judaism in America.
The Temple rabbis, Joe Rooks Rapport, Gaylia R. Rooks and David Ariel-Joel, teach a variety of adult education classes, religious school classes and work closely with bar and bat mitzvah students.
- Temple Trager Early Childhood Education Center
- Active Religious School
- Engaging Hebrew School
- Ongoing Adult Education
- Weekly Torah Study
- Outreach to Interfaith Families
- Women’s Studies
For more information, contact Rabbi Joe Rooks Rapport at (502) 423-1818 (Lark@TheTempleLouKy.org)
Tikkun Olam: Repairing the World
Continuing in the congregation’s long-standing commitment to social action, the rabbis direct a number of programs to fulfill the mitzvah of tikkun olam. Current congregational efforts include:
- TOV (Tikkun Olam Volunteers) Network
- Caring Committee – visits members in nursing homes
- Volunteers of America’s Family Emergency Shelter
- Habitat for Humanity
- Dare to Care
- Jewish Family and Career Services Food Pantry
- Annual Merry Mitzvah program
- Hosting a local Farmers’ Market
For further information contact: TOV Chair, Sue Levy, or Caring Committee Chair, Susan Waterman at The Temple at (502) 423-1818.
Social Programming for Members of all Ages
The Temple is a welcoming community of friends and family with an active social program for many ages and interests.
The Women of Reform Judaism (Sisterhood)
- Annual Interfaith Coffee
- The Temple Sisterhood Gift Shop
- Scholarship funding for Temple youth
- Tu B’Shvat Seder and a Women’s Passover Seder
- Annual Women’s Retreat, which draws all ages together to study, pray, and celebrate as Jewish women.
WRJ President: Marlene Ornstein at The Temple 423-1818
The Men of Reform Judaism (Brotherhood)
- Interesting monthly dinners and programs providing fellowship for men
- Service projects in the broader community
- Scholarship funding for Temple youth
- Congregational Hanukkah Latke Dinner
- Poker Nights twice a month
Brotherhood President: Michael Friedman, (502) 314-5687 (email@example.com)
The Young Adult Group (ages 25-45)
- The group includes over 100 members and offers a variety of Saturday night programs and parties.
- Progressive dinners
- Jazz concerts
- Pool parties
- Movies to enhance the social life of members.
For more information, contact Craig Goldstein, (502) 426-0110 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Temple Youth Group – TiLTY (teens)
- Active youth group affiliated with the North American Federation of Temple Youth (NFTY)
- Local and regional events
- Summer camping sessions at Goldman Union Camp Institute
- Youth Group Advisors: Laurence Nibur, (502) 489-2212 (email@example.com) and Sara Ruby, (502) 269-1569 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Chavurat Shalom (Seniors)
- Community-wide senior adult program, hosted weekly at The Temple featuring:
- Healthy affordable lunch
- Interesting speakers and programs
- Provides a social outlet for participants to enjoy conversation, activities, and community.
For more information, contact Cindy Hytken at The Temple (502) 423-1818 (cindy@TheTempleLouKy.org).
President: Susan Abramson Lancaster
Rabbis: Joe Rooks Rapport, Gaylia R. Rooks and David Ariel-Joel
Rabbi Emeritus: Chester B. Diamond
Executive Director: Sally Younger
Executive Director Emeritus: Jack Benjamin
Religious School Director: Joyce Eiseman
ECEC (Preschool) Director: Alison Roemer
Brotherhood/Men of Reform Judaism President Michael Friedman
Women of Reform Judaism /Sisterhood President: Marlene Ornstein
Youth Group Advisors: Lawrence Nibur and Sara Ruby