Enjoying that special Thanksgiving meal with family is wonderful, but thinking about all those extra calories can put a damper on the fun. This year, enjoy the feast guilt free. Start the day at The J’s annual Pre-Feast Fitness Fest on Thursday, November 24, from 8-10 a.m. and burn off those calories first.
At the Fest, sample some of the JCC’s five most popular group fitness classes in back-to-back 30-minute session for two hours straight. You choose the classes you want and the duration of your workout. You could take the same class four times in a row, try four different classes, or just participate in one or two half-hour sessions.
• J-Barre with Mary Delk in the Dance Studio to increase strength and build flexibility in a fusion of yoga, dance and Pilates;
• Yoga with Samantha Garbino and Melody Mayes in the Aerobic Studio for a more low-key workout that mixes physical postures, or asanas, and breathing exercises
• Body Pump with Beth Mans in the lower gym for a barbell workout set to fast-paced music;
• Cycle with Lisa Lanzet in the Cycle Studio for a challenging stationary bicycle workout; and
• Boot Camp with Susan Kwasny if you’re ready to tackle an assortment of military exercises.
If you invest in your fitness early Thanksgiving morning, your efforts will pay off all day long, according to JCC Fitness Director Ron Peacock.
“Not only does exercise help control hunger during holiday meals but resistance training can help the body actually burn more calories in a 24-hour period,” he said. “Start off your day with a good workout and you’ll be ready to spend the day with family and friends enjoying good food and good times.”
Those who attend four different classes will be entered in a special Thanksgiving drawing. Donations of canned goods for the Jewish Family & Career Services Food Pantry will also be accepted at the event.
The Fest is free for members of The J and half-price guest passes for friends of JCC members are just $5 for adults (ages 12 and up) and $2.50 for children (ages 3-11).
Reserve your spot by calling 502-238-2727. The J will be open on Thanksgiving 7 a.m.-3 p.m.