Having Shabbat dinner together as a family with a good, home-cooked meal sounds wonderful. It’s easy to imagine the smells of roasting chicken and potato kugel wafting through the house.
In today’s world, however, when parents work and children have their own busy schedules, the reality is a home-cooked Shabbat dinner on Friday night just isn’t going to happen.
Or maybe it could – if you didn’t have to worry about the cooking.
There is a new kosher food resource coming to Louisville. The J will host a weekly Pop-Up Shabbat Market run by Sasha Chack, proprietor of Izzy’s Kosher Catering. The Market will be open at the J starting the first week of January.
Chack has put together a menu of his offerings. The ingredients he uses are all produced under mainstream Orthodox kosher supervision. All meat is OU glatt kosher. All cheeses have also been produced under OU or similar supervision. All fresh fish also meets OU standards. (OU is Orthodox Union.)
All menu items are considered meat and will be prepared with meat utensils except for cheese specialty arranged platters which will be prepared with dairy utensils.
Here’s how it will work:
- Orders must be placed no later than 8 p.m. on Wednesday of each week.
- Menus are now available on Facebook and will be available soon at The J.
- When you make your selection, send it to Izzy’s. You can circle your selections and text a photo, call in or email your order to the phone number or email address below.
- An itemized invoice will be emailed to confirm each order.
- The minimum order is $48, excluding the 6 percent sales tax and 20 percent gratuity.
- Food will be available for pick up at The J on Thursdays from 2-5 p.m. or at Keneseth Israel on Fridays from 2-5 p.m.
Chack is also partnering with Keneseth Israel, and all food will be prepared in the congregation’s kosher kitchen.
Chack promises to offer creative takes on classic Jewish food and to use fresh ingredients. The menu will include dips and salads, sides, main courses and specialty platters.
A limited amount of food will be available for purchase that day for walk-in customers.