fbpx

History

The J
In 1878 the Young Hebrew Men’s Association was formed. First, housed in a building on First Street in downtown Louisville, it later moved to a new space on Second Street. Sports, theater and music were among its cultural offerings, in additional to the many Jewish educational and youth development activities. YHMA followed the lead of other Jewish communities and after much research decided to bring a Jewish Community Center to Louisville. In 1954, the Jewish Community Center on Dutchmans Lane was constructed and opened as the hub for Jewish life and just one year later, the outdoor pools opened.

The Jewish Federation of Louisville and Community
The Jewish Community Federation of Louisville was founded September 30, 1971 when the Conference of Jewish Organizations changed its name and expanded its scope to include planning and philanthropy for the entire Louisville Jewish community. Then in 1973, the Federation launched Community, the Jewish community newspaper for Louisville. Community’s purpose, much like today, is the balance the local news with international events.

Jewish Community of Louisville
Then in 2009, the Jewish Federation of Louisville and the Jewish Community Center formed into an Integrated Federation – the Jewish Community of Louisville. This new partnership allowed for more synergy and collaboration among organizations, allowing for shared resources and increased fiscal responsibility.