The JCL is supporting LIFE & LEGACY, a program of the Harold Grinspoon Foundation that promotes after-lifetime giving to Jewish agencies and synagogues in Louisville.
Through training, support and monetary incentives, LIFE & LEGACY motivates Jewish organizations to integrate legacy giving into their fundraising in order to assure the future of Jewish Louisville. Nine organizations are participating: Adath Jeshurun, Keneseth Israel, Temple Shalom and The Temple, the Federation, The J, Jewish Family and Career Services, Jewish Learning Center-Chabad and LBSY.
Here are five reasons to consider making a LIFE & LEGACY commitment:
• Support the future: Committing to a legacy gift to any of the participating organizations shows support for building endowment funds that generate annual funding to benefit the organizations.
• Support the present: Each organization participating in LIFE & LEGACY receives an incentive bonus of up to $6,000 for securing enough new commitments to meet its goals. These incentives can be used in any way each organization sees fit, to help current operations, to build their endowment, etc.
• Create a legacy: Establishing a legacy gift – whether through a bequest in a will, or a portion of an IRA, or another giving vehicle – leaves a last lesson to the donor’s children, grandchildren, and even the community. A legacy gift states that being generous, caring about others, and thinking about the future are important moral values.
• Lead by example: Signing a legacy commitment is an act of community leadership as donors step up and show dedication to their organizations. Donors need not make a monetary gift now, just a commitment, and leadership.
• Save on taxes: While the participating organizations do not provide tax, legal or financial advice, donors are encouraged to contact their advisors to talk about how a prospective legacy gift can save on capital gains taxes, estate taxes, and/or income taxes.
To learn more about LIFE & LEGACY or leaving a legacy in general, please contact any participating organization, or contact Jennifer Tuvlin at the JCL, email@example.com or (502) 238-2735.