To ensure that campaign leaders in federated communities understand exactly how dollars raised by Annual Federation Campaigns are used overseas, each year, the Jewish Federations of North America takes campaign leaders on a mission.
This year, the group will visit Minsk in Belarus and Israel where they will visit a number of projects and programs supported by the Campaign so they can return to their communities energized and able to share how we do extraordinary things together. Jewish Community of Louisville President and CEO Stu Silberman is participating in the mission and is leaving July 7.
In addition to observing how our dollars are used, mission participants are encouraged to participate in the overseas mitzvah work by bringing donations to help. Silberman is contributing some items personally, but he is also inviting the community to help.
JFNA provided a list of suggested donations for the groups in Belarus. The Jewish Family center needs:
- Paints for painting on silk and textiles
- Paints for painting on ceramics
- Paint brushes of different dimensions
- Ping-pong paddles
- Balls for soccer, basketball and tennis
- Sport rugs
- Mouse pads for computers
- Educational games (chess, checkers, playing cards, puzzles, etc.)
- Stuffed animals
- Small musical rhythm instruments (recorders, bells, cymbals, maracas, drums, triangles, etc.)
- Costumes for Purim
- Glue sticks with sparkles and beads
- Gel pens
- Colored paper, cardboard, metallic paper, sheets of felt and plastic, cellophane
- Plastic and clay for molding and cookie cutters
The Chesed (a place where seniors can find basic health care, services, religious activities and socialization) needs:
- Blood pressure measurement cuffs
- Glucometer and test strips for measuring blood sugar
- Adult diapers
- New sheets – cotton, permanent press, single bed
- New towels
- Warm clothes for the elderly including slippers
- Gloves for home-care workers
- Jewish music tapes
- Coloring books and crayons
- Bright colors of paint – Gouache, water color, acrylic and spray paint
- Knitting yarn, embroidery netting
- Kiddush cups
- Shabbat candlesticks
The JAFI (Jewish Agency for Israel) Summer Camp needs:
- Arts and crafts supplies, including markers, pens, colored paper, stickers, paints, watercolors, crayons, glue, clay and sparkles
- Sports equipment including inflatable balls of all sorts, jump ropes and rackets
- Simple, non-verbal board games including chess, checkers, guess who, Chinese checkers, Chutes and Ladders
- Costumes of all kinds for plays and drama club
- Simple game items including Silly Putty, Etch-a-Sketch, travel games, card games such as TAKI, puppets, puzzles, punching bags, rolly polly, etc.
- Camping equipment including flashlights, compasses, pouches and canteens
- Toothbrushes and toothpaste
- Jewish-themed trinkets including key chains, pens, magnets and decorative boxes.
Please bring any items you’d like to donate to the Jewish Community Center by Thursday, July 4, at 11 a.m., and Silberman will make sure they are delivered to the appropriate place.