The 2017 JCL Annual Meeting will recognize leaders and volunteers, Jew and non-Jew alike, who make an impact in Jewish Louisville. It will also contain a few surprises.
This year’s event, to be held Thursday, June 8, at The J (cocktail reception at 6:30 p.m., program and awards at 7) will include a new honor – the Corporate Friend Award – which is being given to Kindred Healthcare.
And the program will include the rededication of the Harold Berg Mosaic, which tells the story of the Holocaust and birth of the state of Israel.
As always, the Jewish Federation and The J will formally elect its 2017-18 officers and new board members and pay special tribute to its award winners:
• Dr. Muhammad Babar Cheema – Blanche B. Ottenheimer Award
• Dara Woods – Lewis W. Cole Memorial Young Leadership Award
• Devon Oser – Joseph J. Kaplan Young Leadership Award
• Corey Shapiro – Julie E. Linker Community Relations Young Leadership Award
• Dolores Levy – Elsie P. Judah Memorial Award
• Alan Glaubinger — Ronald & Marie Abrams Volunteer of the Year Award
• Tom Wissinger – Arthur S. Kling Award
• Andrew Tuvlin and Carly Schwartz – Ellen Faye Garmon Awards
• Hunter Borowick – Joseph Fink Community Service Scholarship
• Jacob Ioffe – Stacy Marks Nisenbaum Award
• Laina Meyerowitz, Charles Bessen, Abigail Geller and Max Strull – Stuart Pressma Student Leadership Development Awards
• Gabe Sherman and Marnina Goldberg – Tony Levitan Awards
Kindred Care is receiving the new Corporate Friend Award for its support of The J’s Active Adults program.
The program includes several fitness activities – Yoga, Boomer Wall, Tai Chi, Better Body Boxing, Muscle Blast – an outdoor walking group and a volunteer effort to tend the Community Garden at the back of The J campus. The meeting is open to the community and is free of charge. RSVP to Mary Jean Timmel at 502-238-2722 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or register online at jewishlouisville.org.